httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: http, https, hostname ( www ) and domain_name ( mydomain.com )
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 07:28:05 GMT
>From: Robert Andersson [mailto:robert@profundis.nu]
>
><VirtualHost 192.168.200.1>
>    ServerName domain.com
>    ServerAlias www.domain.com
>    Redirect / https://www.domain.com
></VirtualHost>
>
><VirtualHost 192.168.200.1:443>
>    ServerName domain.com
></VirtualHost>
>
>I ask some knowledgable person who read this to verify that
>two VHost can
>have the same name when on different ports, but I strongly
>suspect that to
>be the case.

ServerName serves two purposes; Its primary function is to allow apache to make self-referential
URLs (i.e.  When redirecting, apache has to make URLs which come back to the server). Secondly,
it allows apache to distinguish between name-based VHs (but then only if NameVirtualHost has
been defined).

In the case above, the two VHs are distinguished by port number so there is no conflict with
the repeated ServerName.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle