httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: Detecting download success/failure from server?
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:02:56 GMT
HTTP uses TCP/IP which is a protocol in which the transmission of data is acknowledged. It
works like this:

- Apache generates HTTP frame containing data
- HTTP frame is passed down to TCP/IP
- TCP/IP layer sends data to remote client and awaits acknowledgement
- Client acknowledgement received at TCP/IP layer
- TCP/IP passes ackowledgement up to HTTP
- Apache records transfer as "200 OK".

So the apache status code 200 is really the proof that the data went correctly. Note that
it includes a filesize for further checking...

HTTP is a client-server architecture and the browser (your customer) is the client. The protocol
only works one-way, i.e. the client makes requests of the server. The server cannot initiate
activity at the client (such as asking if it received a file).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle