httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jon Benson <...@destra.com>
Subject RE: Log rotation/Logging to a database?
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:24:10 GMT
> I think you are.  Where do you get the 'extra two processes
> created and
> destroyed per httpd instance' bit?  I use logrotate here, and haven't

Your using logrotate.  I'm talking about cronolog or rotatelogs.  Apache
creates a pipe to these programs, which requires an instance of a shell and
the program, hence the two processes.

I'm currently reinvestigating, ie trying it for myself instead of listening
to what others are telling me, if the log analysis software they use, and
are considering using, here can handle retrieving wildcarded files via FTP.
If that's possible I'll probably go the cronosplit and truncate route as the
'safe' method.

Jon Benson
Mail/DNS/Linux Administrator
OzHosting.com