httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jon Benson <...@destra.com>
Subject Log rotation/Logging to a database?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:26:01 GMT
Hi folks,

Here is my dilemma:

I've recently started in this role to find I'm responsible for 2 apache
servers, each with hundreds (eg 1200 on one) of virtual sites and NO log
rotation occuring!  :(

Hence log files are growing out of control and consuming valuable resources
(disc space).

Due to the time it would take to stop apache, rotate all the logs, and start
apache again that's not an option.

Due to the number of simultaneous requests the server/s may endure (I've
seen 150+ simultaneous instances of httpd) using rotatelogs or cronolog does
not seem to be an option.  Ie due to the extra two processes created and
destroyed per httpd instance.  Though perhaps I'm over estimating the
overhead this would create and need to do some load testing?

I attempted to create a little script to use cronosplit and essentially
rotate the logs in place but stress testing it showed, as expected, there
would be corrupt lines and lines out of order if I ran it while a httpd
process was attempting to log to the same file.

What I'm currently considering:
pgLOGd - http://www.digitalstratum.com/pglogd/index.php

I'm just beginning to wonder if the overhead of a Postgres database is going
to be greater then the overhead of an extra 300 processes and the associated
open file handles?

Ie pgLOGd would be used and log files generated from the database at regular
intervals (eg daily)

Any/all comments, particularly from those who may have encountered a similar
dilemma or had experience with pgLOGd, would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jon Benson
Mail/DNS/Linux Administrator
OzHosting.com