httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Wirth <g...@rapidfx.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Administrivia question: subject prefix?
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:40:01 GMT
Hello...

In the GUI mail app I use, and I imagine most others, including O/OE,
the subject field is now 13 characters longer.
Now, when one has the From: To: Subject: Time Received: Time Sent:
the screen is only so wide....
DN> =Another contribution to this thread mentioned a 'problem' with subject
DN> line. Not understanding what this meant/which email clients might be
DN> affected, I requested clarification but have not been enlightened.


It is a democratic process, at least it seems so thus far.
But I want to know what mail app is the one that created this issue of
requiring a users@httpd in order to filter. So my question, are we
doing this for MS products, was really, are we just doing this for
Outlook/Outlook Express?
Are only the Win32 users affected by the lack of a filter ability?
>> I really hope we are not talking about this change because of
>> Microsoft products.
DN> =I understood it to be a democratic process, a poll of list-members. Thus if
DN> a number happen to use MS products then the same inevitability many of us
DN> face in our corporate lives will apply! (regretably or otherwise depending
DN> upon on your point of view/freedom of expression)


In my opinion, we are changing the vehicle.
DN> =agreed, but if I come home with some auto accessory to make my car look
DN> just so slick, only to find that it doesn't 'fit'; do I change the accessory
DN> or the whole vehicle to suit the other? For home users, MS is going to be
DN> the inevitable default choice (not that I agree with the commercial


I would say also, it cuts down on the size of the email as well, by
not allowing HTML. Security is another aspect of HTML mail.
Being able to read it in a non-html reader, is the least of the
issues.
DN> =The list has a rule about ASCII/simple text cf HTML/rich text format. This
DN> is because some email packages cannot read HTML and viewing such in a text
DN> window is distracting/truly ugly! MS packages can render HTML msgs and some
DN> delight in utilising lovely colors, background 'stationery', and amazingly
DN> stupid other 'twiddly bits' (to say nothing of opening themselves up to
DN> virus transmission). Yet we don't see a call for such to be allowed on the
DN> list just because we can do it/it's there/Mr MS says so (thank God).


So, my question then is, are MOST (51%) users on this list using an email
app that does not filter well?
DN> =So no, the discussion should not come down to MS products vs the rest/best,
DN> but membership objectives subjected to realities; and the pertinent reality
DN> is that automated filtering is not 'the' answer because many members use
DN> filtering, many use OL/OE, and MS' email filtering is about as flexible as
DN> any other aspect of their products! (my regret being as great as yours)


I can only hope.
DN> PS another nail in MS's coffin: they provide use with yet another lowest,
DN> common denominator!?

>> XX> However MS-Outlook/Outlook Express users are limited to:
>> XX> Now a *nix-phile might offer advice about moving OpSys, but that's not
>> DN> <users-return-12918-PHPml=dande.homechoice.co.uk@httpd.apache.org>
>> DN> Reply-To: users@httpd.apache.org
>> DN> list-help: <mailto:users-help@httpd.apache.org>
>> DN> list-unsubscribe: <mailto:users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org>
>> DN> list-post: <mailto:users@httpd.apache.org>
>> DN> Delivered-To: mailing list users@httpd.apache.org
>> There is your filter string/strings.
>> DN> The msg with the following headers received from list today could
>> DN> filtered by other/traditional means. However if the list server


--
Greg S. Wirth
System Administrator
Anchorage, Alaska


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message