httpd-users mailing list archives

From "DL Neil" <PH...@DandE.HomeChoice.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Administrivia question: subject prefix?
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:20:26 GMT
Hello Greg,

> DN> affected, I requested clarification but have not been enlightened.

=thanks. Haven't looked at TheBat myself, but have heard good things about
it.

> In the GUI mail app I use, and I imagine most others, including O/OE,
> the subject field is now 13 characters longer.
> Now, when one has the From: To: Subject: Time Received: Time Sent:
> the screen is only so wide....

=So we're talking about a view of the msg headers. I can see 'helpful'
suggestions to remove columns, but that's the sort of accessorising
criticism that doesn't help...

=It's worse than that - no one has quoted/counted the "RE: " before and the
" " after... A valid point. How many other users face this?

> It is a democratic process, at least it seems so thus far.
> But I want to know what mail app is the one that created this issue of
> requiring a users@httpd in order to filter. So my question, are we
> doing this for MS products, was really, are we just doing this for
> Outlook/Outlook Express?

=Can answer: didn't retain Ken's first invitation on the subject/only got
involved when people seemed to expect that we throw away our cars in
preference to the 'accessory' (much as we might like to be able to do so).

> DN> =agreed, but if I come home with some auto accessory to make my car
look
> DN> just so slick, only to find that it doesn't 'fit'; do I change the
accessory
> DN> or the whole vehicle to suit the other? For home users, MS is going to
be
> In my opinion, we are changing the vehicle.

=no. (Others) asking MS users to change their email client in order to be
able to filter (the accessory) by such criteria is changing the vehicle (as
would be the case if TheBat, Mutt, Pine,... users were told they had to
change to OL/OE)

> DN> =The list has a rule about ASCII/simple text cf HTML/rich text format.
This
> I would say also, it cuts down on the size of the email as well, by
> not allowing HTML. Security is another aspect of HTML mail.
> Being able to read it in a non-html reader, is the least of the
> issues.

=completely agree - good reasons for chucking both products! (was talking of
'appearances')

> So, my question then is, are MOST (51%) users on this list using an email
> app that does not filter well?
> DN> =So no, the discussion should not come down to MS products vs the
rest/best,
> DN> but membership objectives subjected to realities; and the pertinent
reality
> DN> is that automated filtering is not 'the' answer because many members
use
> DN> filtering, many use OL/OE, and MS' email filtering is about as
flexible as
> DN> any other aspect of their products! (my regret being as great as
yours)

=if it is 51% then surely the correct expression is about the 49% using
better filters!?

=it would appear from the earlier announcement that, for whatever reason,
the majority would like a subject line label. There appears to be some
debate about the final form it will take. (is there a feather symbol in
ASCII?)

> I can only hope.
> DN> PS another nail in MS's coffin: they provide use with yet another
lowest,
> DN> common denominator!?

=having spent the afternoon researching MS Office - Star/OpenOffice
incompatibilities, I am doing more than hope!

=Regards,
=dn