httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: How can I resolve this problem ?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:49:42 GMT
Hello:

I did a little research on this and I can't find "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR" in
any standard HTTP documentation.  I found "Via" which would return the a few
interesting pieces of information about the server that acted as the proxy,
but not about the client machine.  I also found "Max-Forwards" which would
be part of the client request headers that tell proxies the maximum number
of jumps the request is willing to take.  This, of course, would not give
you any good information about the client.  There is also some interesting
information on an HTTP method called "TRACE" that does exactly what you are
doing.

I don't know Squid at all so this may be something that it attaches to the
HTTP headers before passing the request on.  If this is the case, please let
me know.  I have a few systems where I would like to do something similar to
what you are attempting.

The way that I take care of this is to use the logging abilities of the
front-end server.  These logs should produce lines that contain proper
information on the incoming request.

If you are sure about this "HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR" thing, I agree with Dirk
that you would need to drop it in the log line with "%{X-Forwarded-For}i".

Let me know what happens with this.  As I said, I'd love to do what you are
attempting myself.

 ~ Robert