httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: How to make pictures viewable with helper app?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:35:06 GMT
Gustav:

The open/save dialog boxes are a function of the browser.  The browser
decides what to do with files based on their mime type.  By default (on
every browser I've seen, less lynx of course) the browser will handle that
mime type by displaying it.

I've seen it work to change the mime type on the server for those file
extensions to something that you know will not be handled by standard
browsers.  I think this will only work for Netscape clients as IE does not
seem to care a whole lot what mime type information is sent by the server.
The main problem with this is that all ".jpg" files will then be unavailable
to be shown on web pages served.  Also, I'm sure that misrepresenting the
type of file must have some sort of bad repercussions.

 ~ Robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Gustav Svensson [mailto:gurra16@spray.se]
Sent: None
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: How to make pictures viewable with helper app?

I have some png and jpeg pictures on my site.
but when you click on them from a browser, they open as a new page so to
speak.
I want the open/save dialogue to open, so that the picture can be viewed in
a helper app.
How do I do?

Gustav
Har borjar Internet!
Skaffa gratis e-mail och gratis Internet pa http://www.spray.se

Spela Spray Quiz med Motorola och vinn en Motorola Talkabout 191.
http://quiz.spray.se/motorola