httpd-users mailing list archives

From Johan Sunnerstig <Johan.Sunners...@netgiro.com>
Subject RE: HTTPD vs Jakarta Tomcat
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:39:53 GMT
Ok, I suspected that would be the preffered solution.

So, about my other question, is there any official documentation about how
to do this?

Thanks
Johan

-----Original Message-----
From: Boyle Owen [mailto:Owen.Boyle@swx.com]
Sent: den 20 augusti 2002 11:51
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: HTTPD vs Jakarta Tomcat

<opinion>
How I would do it would be to use apache as the primary server and proxy
requests to the Tomcat server when required. Tomcat then, would only be
accessible via the apche server.

The reason for this is that apache is a much more stable and reliable
environment than Tomcat and so all non-dynamic content would be guaranteed
to be available at all times. Apache is also much faster than tomcat at
serving static files. In addition, during development, you could run several
tomcats on different ports and switch in the production tomcat via apache.
</opinion>

Rgds,

Owen Boyle