httpd-users mailing list archives

From Johan Sunnerstig <Johan.Sunners...@netgiro.com>
Subject RE: HTTPD vs Jakarta Tomcat
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:13:42 GMT
Oh, and I forgot to throw in an extra question.
Is there any official documentation on making Tomcat 4.0.x play with Apache
2.x?
The only docs I could find were about Tomcat 3.x and Apache 1.3.x.

Thanks.
Johan

-----Original Message-----
From: Johan Sunnerstig [mailto:Johan.Sunnerstig@netgiro.com]
Sent: den 20 augusti 2002 11:05
To: Apache users list (E-mail)
Subject: HTTPD vs Jakarta Tomcat

Hi.
Im trying to decide between using Tomcat or Apache for a couple of sites.
We need Tomcat for JSP support, so it's gonna be involved somehow no matter
what.

The server that will be running them will be serving a main site, which
includes mostly static pages, but also some jsp stuff, this site recieves
some traffic, but nothing that I'd expect will give performance problems
with either software.
It will also run some smalltime static pages, but those are definately not
an issue from a performance point of view, they recieve very little traffic,
however one or two will need SSL support.
And, finally, it will run one or two proxys, right now we have an old Apache
box running mod_proxy, mod_ssl, and JRun, and it's working good, cept we
wanna get rid of JRun.

So, the plan is to setup a new server, this will most likely be running
Solaris 9, and Apache 2.x(if we go Apache), along with Tomcat.
Figure on about 10 VHosts, 1 or 2 using SSL, maybe 2-3 proxy's, and a few
static sites, one with JSP.

Gives these parameteres, what would suit our needs best, a standalone
Tomcat, or would it be better to try to run Apache with a Tomcat connector?

I should note that Im fairly familiar with Apache, compiling, configuring,
etc, while I've only played a bit with Tomcat these last few days.
I've gotten it so far as to make sure the main site with JSP works, but I've
not delved into configurations of VHosts and such yet, as Im not sure what
we'll be running.
It's not critical that I get it up and running immediately, so if Tomcat is
the better alternative, I'll sit down and read some docs and such, so don't
worry about that :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Johan