httpd-users mailing list archives

From simran <sim...@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Subject VirtualHost and SSL
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 06:22:14 GMT
Hi All,

In my httpd.conf i have configuration to the effect of:

==========
httpd.conf
NameVirtualHost *
NameVirtualHost *:443

#
# Configuration for site Sample...
#

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName   sample.dev.mydomain.com.au
  DocumentRoot /home/www/sample/docs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName   sample.dev.mydomain.com.au
  DocumentRoot /home/www/sample/docs
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCipherSuite
        ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
  SSLCertificateFile    www/sample/conf/server.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile www/sample/conf/server.key
</VirtualHost>

#
# Configuration for site Star...
#

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName   star.dev.mydomain.com.au
  DocumentRoot /home/www/star/docs
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName   sample.dev.mydomain.com.au
  DocumentRoot /home/www/star/docs
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCipherSuite
        ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP:+eNULL
  SSLCertificateFile    www/star/conf/server.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile www/star/conf/server.key
</VirtualHost>

Now the problem i am facing is that when i go to:

  http://sample.mydomain.com.au

  and

  https://sample.mydomain.com.au/

All is well, however,

  https://star.dev.mydomain.com.au/ gives me back the SSL certificate
  of the sample site (http works fine, only https is playing up?)

  If i swap the order, then i can see that the first certificate in the
  first virtualhost that listens to 443 is actually being used, what
  makes it most confusing is that the the correct document root is
  always used!

  Has anyone run across such a problem before?

I guess my main questions are:

* Can i use SSL on Name Based Virtual Hosts (all using the same IP)

* If so, can someone please point me to an example (especially if
  the sample shows uses of 'VirtualHost *:443'

thanks,

simran.