httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kyle <k...@ptszone.com>
Subject RE: Are Defunct/Zombie processes normal?
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 03:30:36 GMT
Thanks for replying and sorry for the delay; life has been a little
hectic lately.

The following directives seem relevant to my config:
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 20
StartServers 20
MaxClients 256
MaxRequestsPerChild 0

I compiled it from source code with a variety of patches and stuff like
EAPI and MM.

I'm running Gentoo Linux, so it is easy to share with you the way it was
configured given that you take a second to understand its methods, but I
don't expect you do sit down and decipher it all.

Take a peek at the src_unpack and src_install functions @
http://nitro.ptszone.com/ebuilds/server/server-apache/server-apache-1.3.26-r2.ebuild

Bascially they are just bash scripts with some special settings
inherited.

Again, thanks for you reply.

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 02:35, Boyle Owen wrote:
> >From: Kyle [mailto:kyle@ptszone.com]
>
> >I've been noticing that Apache is getting a couple defunct/Zombie
> >processes every few minutes.  The server is using EAPI, MM, mod_php,
> >mod_ssl, and a few other small patches.  Versions are as follows
> >Apache/1.3.26, PHP/4.2.2, mod_ssl/2.8.10, OpenSSL/0.9.6e.  The server
> >gets about 5 hits a second, and is only causing about a 3.5%
> >load on the
> >CPU.
> >
> >Is this normal?  I can provide more information if this isn't normal.
>
> Not normal. Apache daemons are supposed to vanish after serving MaxRequestsPerChild requests...
Do you have something funny set for this directive (default is 0 - which, paradoxically, means
"never expire")?