httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lee Fellows <lfell...@4lane.com>
Subject RE: HTPASSWD
Date Fri, 09 Aug 2002 12:40:33 GMT
On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 08:23, Boyle Owen wrote:
> There is more to this than meets the eye... See the comments below and post back..
>
> Rgds,
>
> Owen Boyle
>
> >From: Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) [mailto:Philippe.Dhont@searo.be]
> >
> >It is still not working. What i exactly try is:
> >
> >Htpasswd -c /usr/local/netsaint/etc/htpasswd.users netsaintadmin
>
> Why are you using "Htpasswd" (i.e. with capital "H")? Is this just a typo or is your
mail client forcing capitals? I guess it must be, or you'd get "Htpasswd: Command not found"...

> Do you have write permissions to a directory under /usr/local? Are you running as root?
>
> Do the intermediate directories already exist? i.e. can you do "ls /usr/local/netsaint/etc"?
Note that htpasswd can only create a file - it cannot build a directory path.

> Be aware that your username is too long. Only the first eight characters are significant,
so "netsaintbanana" will also be able to login to this area. This won't make it fail but if
you have a lot of usernames like this you will get unexpected results

> >I tried also
> >
> >htpasswd -c mypasswords.pwd joe
>
> This should have worked since it has none of the bugs noted above.
>
> >Just for testing if it couldn't be in the path or something
> >and i get the same message:
> >Htpasswd: -c and -n options conflict
>
> Have you set up a shell alias for htpasswd, by any chance? Try "alias htpasswd" and see
what it says (I hope it doesn't say "htpasswd -n" :-)

> What happens if you say "which htpasswd"?
>
> What happens if you do "htpasswd joe"? or "htpasswd -n joe"?

  Not to detract from Owen's suggestions, but are you, by any chance
trying to use htpasswd from the Apache 2.0.39 distro?  If so, be advised
that it is/(was) broken and you may need to use htpasswd from a previous
distro, or retrieve the latest source from CVS and build it yourself.