httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Nerad <jne...@cimedia.com>
Subject Re: Log rotation
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:02:21 GMT
On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 13:39, Paul English wrote:

> I set up apache 2.0.35 with a plain config file (no log rotation
> directives), and my log files are getting
> automatically rotated. It appears to be based on their size, since there
> is no consistency in the dates. They are all getting rotated at approx
> 4.3-4.4 megabytes. Why is that? Can I stop it from happening?
>
> I need to make my logs only rotate when I tell them to, that is - once per
> month, but at the moment they are getting big enough that apache is
> rotating them more often.
>
> Here's the line I'm using to log:
> CustomLog logs/access_log common

The only way I've seen this done is through the configuration file or
through a cronjob.  So... if it isn't in your configuration file, then
it must be elsewhere.  Check your cron entries to see if there's a
program running that does that.  logrotate will do it if it configured
that way... "man logrotate" will give you the info you need if this is
going on.

--
Jack Nerad