httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] telnet to localhost
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 23:01:53 GMT
> Having Apache on a standalone machine allows testing web sites and
> web pages and learning and that's what I'm doing and trying to do and
> I think it is just great.
> But just how much does it mimic a real life situation? For instance I
> cannot telnet my own machine can I? Or I couldn't when I tried.
> What other limitations have I? Would I really be well advised to get
> another machine and network the two in order to mimic reality?

You should be able to telnet into localhost:80 or 127.0.0.1:80 (same thing).
If you can't do either, something is wrong.

Having apache on a standalong machine pretty much mimics everything about
having it on a public machine, except for the code red attacks, the dos
attacks, and people probing around for vulnerabilities.  It also doesn't
test scalability, you'll have to network two computers together and have one
run a test suite against the web server.  You also (AFAIK) cannot test
virtual hosts.  Well, maybe if you put the virtual hostnames in the
/etc/hosts file.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com