httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: Apache falling over in high usage
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:44:57 GMT

> Hi guys and gals I have a problem with apache.
> MySQL usage hits about 50% then it begins to fall and Apache stops
> responding. I restart MySQL and that makes no difference. I restart(full
not
> graceful) the server jumps back into life but only for a second and it
just
> locks out again. It won't even load up normal HTML.

Is your apache server on the same computer as the webserver?  If its a large
database, consider moving it.

> I have changed all my mysql settings and this makes no difference so I
think
> its an Apache problem. I have set max clients to 500 to see if that makes
> difference...nope......
>
> Any ideas, clues?
>
> If you need any more information please ask and I am sorry if I forgot
> anything!

Sounds like you are running out of RAM (check my previous posts about Apache
DOS'ing itself, this is the cause).  Once you start getting swaps, requests
take longer, more instances of apache start running to take up the slack,
which require more ram, which require more swapping, which launches more
isntances of apache, which requires more ram, which is even more swapping..
You get the idea; eventually the server dies, consumed by disk access.

Is the server generally unresponsive when this happens?

Solution?  Make apache leaner.  Take out modules that you don't need.
Reduce MaxClients.  Move the mySQL database to another server.  Add more
ram.

The next time it happens, bring apache down, and wait for disk access to
calm down.

On my webserver, I can handle about 60 clients per 256mb (apache+php+ssl).
At 500 clients, that works out to 1.2gb + whatever the database needs.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com