httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.26 DOS'ing itself still
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:37:41 GMT
> That's possible.  You should NEVER make your web server use swap space.
>   MaxClients should be set low enough such that all serving happens from
> main memory.
>
> It sounds like your httpd processes are using quite a bit of memory.
> You might want to cut down on unnecessary modules.

The more I think about it, the more plausable this situation is.  I forgot
to mention that our website is written in PHP, and it has a mem limit of
24mb.  I'm pretty sure that its a problem of physically running out of
memory.  All it takes is two people running a large query, and suddenly that
40mb free is gone.  And then some.

Looks like another 256mb is going to need to be ordered.

> Also see:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html
> for a few important tips.

Thanks for the info, I'm reading that now.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com