httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: curious problem
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:32:51 GMT
> Yes,
>     There are two different httpd executable files one is about 300K the
> other is 1.4 MB. What should I do? When I run "ps -ef | grep httpd' it
shows
> the directory of one of these (the larger one) every time. However, in the
> example that was given  by Jacob the directory of the executable was
> followed by -DSS whereas in my instance it is followed by -k.

The -DSS is really -DSSL and means that I have SSL enabled :)  The -k, I
dunno about.  Maybe you have one of the 2.0 servers running?

>     I definitely knew I  was running two versions of httpd by running
> 'locate bin/httpd' as per sugestion: it gave me back two different
> directories.

Ok, well, now you have two choices: stop the other server and work with the
one you have been, or abandon the one you've been configuring in favor of
the other one.  My suggestion: figure out which is newer and use that one.
This can be done by passing the -v arg to the individual httpd, or, with a
little bit of cmd line magic:

locate bin/httpd | while read a; do echo $a; $a -v | grep -i "version";
done;

and you should get something similar to:

/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
Server version: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix)

>     When i ran 'netstat -pan | grep LISTEN I did see that port 80 was
> listening. The text on the right side of the screen was 26954/httpd, I'm
> assuming that means that httpd is the program listening to port 80
>     What would be the best way for me to fix this? Does the fact that
httpd
> is the program listening to port 80 and yet the page not apear mean that
the
> httpd's are in competition with eachother? Or does it mean that is the
> larger one (the one found when 'ps -ef | grep httpd' was run) is just
wrong
> and need to be taken out?

You can't have two daemons listening on the same port.  You need to either
kill the other httpd server, or work with it.  Until you stop the other
server, the one you are working with now will _never_ run on port 80.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com