httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Apache 1.3.26 DOS'ing itself still
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:07:21 GMT
Apache ran away again, happily bringing down the webserver.  This time,
however, it didn't reach the MaxClients setting before it started grinding
on the disks.

Between the last instance and this one, I raised maxclients to 125 (from
100) and set MaxRequestsPerChild to 100000 (from 100).

After this latest panic, I've set MaxRequestPerChild to 0.

What can I do to diagnose this problem?  Will disabling KeepAlive help?
What will it do to performance?

I almost wonder if i'm exhausting the physical memory, and its causing
excessive swapping.  This server only has 256mb of ram.  With 35 instances
of httpd running, I have 40mb free.  I'm guessing that an additonal 50 may
take up more than that 40mb?

Thanks,
-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com