httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: configuration question
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:32:04 GMT
>> I am not quite sure that exactly the apachectl file does, however I
understand that it now is listening to port 80.<<

apachectl is the tool used to control apache.

usage: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl
(start|stop|restart|fullstatus|status|graceful|configtest|help)

start      - start httpd
startssl   - start httpd with SSL enabled
stop       - stop httpd
restart    - restart httpd if running by sending a SIGHUP or start if
             not running
fullstatus - dump a full status screen; requires lynx and mod_status enabled
status     - dump a short status screen; requires lynx and mod_status
enabled
graceful   - do a graceful restart by sending a SIGUSR1 or start if not
running
configtest - do a configuration syntax test
help       - this screen

>> I am still not sure why the apache page is coming up and not my REAL
webpage. Because I know that the the index.html file is in /var/www/html
which is defined as DocumentRoot in the httpd.config file. But oh well this
is a big step! Thanks a lot, you've been such a big help!<<

Try accessing http://yourwebserver/html/ and see if you get your index file.
At any rate, you're at least now running, and just need to tweak your
configuration settings.

Once you've got it working, you really do need to upgrade everything if this
is a publicly-accessable site.  I spent several days re-installing our
webserver after an automated rootkit attack succeeded.  It happened a day or
two before I got the tape drive installed and working on the backup server,
and a week after I took the job.  I'm a programmer by trade, but learned
sysadmin by fire :)

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com