httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: configuration question
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:16:35 GMT
>>-I have placed the page in the correct location (/var/www/) and named it
html
-I have an index.html ready to go in my html file
-I have gone into setup -> system services and am sure that httpd is
running.
-I am also hosting email out of this machine so I know my network
configurations are correct
- I also know my firewall is allowing traffic on port 80.
-When I try to telnet out on port 80 I get no responce. <<

You want to telnet in on port 80.  The firewall shouldn't be an issue if
you're testing on localhost, or an internal IP address.

Is /var/www your DocumentRoot?

You are sure apache is running?  Do a ps -ef | grep httpd and see if it
shows anything.  The RH apache tool may be looking for a httpd.pid to
indicate that the server is running, even though they often get abandoned.

Remember that everything in your DocumentRoot directory is relative to the
webserver.  Ie, if DocumentRoot is /var/www and you put index in
/var/www/html, you'll see it in http://webserver/html/, and not
http://webserver/ .

>>   Are the symptoms I describe normal or common? Are they problems often
encountered and easily fixed? I would unistall the rpm and reinstall a more
current version, however when I try to unistall the rpm (rpm -e apache) it
tells me that it cannot because it woul "break dependencies" (apacheconf.
and webserver are are reasons that it sites I cannot remove it). I also
cannot update to apache 1.3.23-11.i386 because libdb-3.3.so is needed by the
updated version, and did not come with the rpm file. <<

Check redhat.com, in the download section you can search for packages that
provide files.  Grab libdb-3.3 and upgrade.  If you are running this server
public, you are just asking to be hacked by an automated script kiddie.
You've got ~ 1-4wks from the time a vulnerability is announced until it
becomes an automated attack.  Even if your server isn't a major player, its
vulnerable.  They scan random IP addresses for vulnerabilities.

If this is the only RH server at your company (or your company pays for the
support), you can use the up2date tool.  It makes keeping your system up to
date fairly easy.

-Jacob
http://www.listingbook.com