httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: Authentication using AuthUserFile
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:50:19 GMT
I can't tell what's wrong; it looks like a valid user file with plain
plassword. What version of Apache are you using?

I did see a few other issues with you configuration.

> <Directory "D:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache/htdocs/Test">
> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
> AllowOverride None
> order allow,deny
> allow from all

You have "Order allow,deny", and define "Allow from all", but no "Deny". Are
you sure about this? Otherwise, go read that part of the docs:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_access.html
Note sure, but I don't think you have any use or Order in this directory.

> AuthName "Enter UserName and Password to Login to PIMS"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile htdocs/Test/web/users/users.txt
> AuthGroupFile htdocs/Test/web/groups/groups.txt

I think you should try to use the absolute path to the user/group files,
within double quotes. Perhaps easier to put them in the root while getting
it to work...

> <Limit GET POST>
> require group admin
> </Limit>

Remove the <Limit ...> and </Limit> tags as you don't really want them and
is bad style. Then, also try "require valid-user" and "require user kirti"
to see if that gives something.

You had written the user file yourself? Are you sure that you don't got some
illegal newlines or similar. I suggest you try to create a new file using
htpasswd. You do this by simply open up a command prompt, cd to Apache's bin
directory and type:
...apache\bin> htpasswd -cpb <quoted_path_to_user_file> <username>
<password>
This creates a new file with only that user, using plaintext password. If
you want to add another user, you remove the 'c' in the options (and change
the username/password, of course).

Regards,
Robert Andersson