httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Taylor" <ch...@x-bb.org>
Subject Re: 20 requests causes server to crawl
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:33:45 GMT
20 requests causes server to crawlThis rings a bell.

I'm wondering if Apache2 has serious performance issues on Windows 2000, some benchmarks I
did with the ab package show it lagging *far* behind what I'd expect.

Although my machine is only a Celeron 666 w/ 384 megs of RAM, it can serve only 22 requests
for a simple HTML page/sec, whereas my 300mhz/32megs PS2 serves in the region of 380/sec!

I'd certainly be interested to hear input from serious Windows/Apache2 server admins, because
a machine with half the CPU power (running Linux) performs nearly 20 times better.

I realise Apache2 isn't yet fully optimized for Windows, but I can't believe it's this bad
:)

Anyone got any advice on 2k setup for Apache?

Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 Webserver :)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pelton, James
  To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
  Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 10:13 PM
  Subject: 20 requests causes server to crawl

  I've got a brand-new Compaq server, run a fresh install of Win2K server, with the latest
service pack (3).

  I'm running 2.0.39 w/ mod_ssl with ColdFusion MX Server and ChiliSoft ASP (most recent versions).

  When there are only a very few simultaneous connections, the server serves pages quite quickly.
But once I get as many as 15-20 simultaneous requests, the server crawls so bad you'd think
it had crashed. When that happens, Apache grabs 99% of the CPU time, and Windows Explorer
becomes unresponsive or very sluggish.

  HostName lookups are off
  I use only IP#s in my httpd.conf file
  The files being served are local
  I use Options FollowSymLinks and not Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
  I do not use .htaccess files
  AllowOverride is set to none
  DirectoryIndex lists options explicitly (i.e. index.asp) and does not use wildcards
  I have only one CPU
  I have about 500 megs of ram
  mod_status and extendedstatus are on

  The problem occurs even when serving only a couple SSL pages

  Any suggestions?

  James Pelton
  JamesP@ASCP.org