httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ian" <...@canvey.com>
Subject Redirecting confusion :(
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2002 15:54:20 GMT
Hi,

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction to improve the way
that I am redirecting users?

I currently use the following in .htaccess

Redirect permanent  /dir/group1
http://www.domain.net/dir/forums.php?Cat=1,39,126,129,130
Redirect permanent  /dir/group2
http://www.domain.net/dir/forums.php?Cat=1,34,110,129,130
Redirect permanent  /dir/group3
http://www.domain.net/dir/forums.php?Cat=1,3,128,129,130

Now whilst this works - I could potentially have a few hundred of these
in the .htaccess file. The other problem is that if anyone puts
http://www.domain.net/dir/group1/ in their browser the user gets an
error :( The same /dir/ physically exists on both sides, whilst the
group1, group2 etc., do not physically exist.

The reason why I need this is that the resulting URL alters (the digits
change) on a fairly frequent basis.

Question - can I improve the way that I do this to -  eliminate the
error if they put a / after the URL

And if possible to mask the eventual URL so that users do not bookmark
it - probably impossible :)

Maybe I am doing everything correctly, but I have a feeling that I am
not. My concerns come when it grows from say 40 redirects at the moment
to say 3 or 400 in a years time. I have read through various documents
and got myself totally confused!

Regards,

Ian