httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Meisenhelder" <popt...@poptartweb.org>
Subject RE: Can I be a Web Server? How to let users download?
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:45:06 GMT
The company that does my domain name allows me to point my url to
another url (like www.host.com/myaccount ) or another ip address. Check
them out. www.enom.com, they have a low rate per year imho.
(this is not an ad, just helping people out)

Glad2help,

Poptart
poptart@Poptartweb.org
www.poptartweb.org

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Greenlees [mailto:jaqui@shaw.ca]
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 3:21 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: Can I be a Web Server? How to let users download?

david hawcroft wrote:

>I'm going well, thanks to help I've found here. Apache is working well
>and Active Perl is working with it. I can call c progs and perl scripts

>I've written from web pages I've created. Excellent.
>
>Next:
>
>1. mine i.  a standalone machine. When I connect to the internet I get
>an IP address don't I, from my ISP? Can I use that address and allow my

>Apache server to be accessible from the Web?

yes you can

>2. How do I write a script or a prog or what do I do to allow users to
>download files from my site (i.e., on my localsite site, standalone
>here, allow me to go through the motions).

you need to make sure your account with your isp allows you to have your

own server, which means you have a static ip, then you need to register
a domain name and get your isp's ( or local) name server to have your ip

and domain name linked, the go submit your domain ( site) to search
engines. you would have to have the server online all the time, and the
site
scripted by this point.

check your isp's site for thier info about this. probably comercial
account section.