httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lists" <Li...@ardsley.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0.39 Compile error on Solaris 8 /sparc
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:48:10 GMT
Hi Andy, and thanks for the tip!

>>is it possible you don't have write permissions in the output directory?t
 hat would account for two different compilers being unable to create
an output file ('conftest' is what is trying to create).<<

 - that part is set I think.. this is a test server on a private segment (no net connectivity)
so
for now I am doing the unthinkable and installing as root.. I just want to get it in
and running. Then workout a production install plan, nail down permissions, special httpd
users etc..

>>the configure script is just a sh/ksh script. if you grep for the errorl
 isted below 'cannot create' you'll see that it's trying to run the
compiler, and that configure is passing the compiler a number of flags.
it's possible you're environment is configured improperly and the flags
are interfering with compilation.<<

I am no coder, but I did parse through the file to find the routines that generated the errors
I was seeing. Glad it's doing more or less what I thought it's doing; kind of a sanity check
I guess? Send something to the compiler and see if it comes back with what we expect / if
not we  bail out?  It is entirely possible that my environment is broken somewhere.. I just
wish I knew where to look.. I'd be more than happy to fix it..

Anyhow..
I set the path as you stated, setenv CC /usr/local/bin and then went to try configure again:

M5# which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc

M5# setenv CC /usr/local/bin
M5# echo $CC
/usr/local/bin

M5# ./configure --prefix /ardsley/apache2 CC=$CC
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... reconfig
configuring package in srclib/apr now
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Configuring APR library
Platform: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... /usr/local/bin
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
configure failed for srclib/apr
M5#
-----------------------
same error as before... I guess it's telling me the issue with srclib/apr, the portable runtime
library (whatever that is!). I looked in that folder and there is stuff there..

The original CC was whatever installed with the Solaris 8 distro.. I am a Unix novice (if
it isn't painfully apparent..) so I honestly don't know what ships with Solaris.. The Apache
Group FAQ was pretty blunt about where compiler errors come from (I think the verbiage on
possibility #3 is "you compiler is garbage" ;-)   so I thought I'd try a "popular" CC.. I
have no idea if the original CC on Solaris 8 is ANSI compliant or not..

I looked for debugging flags for 'configure' and found a '--cache-file=FILE' flag, so I set
that to try and get more detail on what's broken. All it did for me was confirm (I think)
that the CC variable is getting set, and set correctly..

I will keep looking and share what I find in case it can help anyone else.T
 hanks again for your suggestions; just wish the news were better!

Cheers,

Joe

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com