httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lists" <Li...@ardsley.com>
Subject Apache 2.0.39 Compile error on Solaris 8 /sparc
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 18:36:08 GMT
Platform: Solaris 8 on Sparc
cc: gcc-2.95.3

Hi:

I am trying to get Apache 2.0.39 to compile on my Sun E3500 server. I'm striking out. I downloaded
and installed gcc-2.95.3 which I hoped would solve the compile problem but I am getting the
same error and am not sure what to look at. I have been through the FAQ and am searching the
archives etc for something, but nothing is working yet. What I get is below.

M5# ./configure prefix=/ardsley/apache2
checking for chosen layout... Apache
checking for working mkdir -p... yes
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8

Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

checking for APR... reconfig
configuring package in srclib/apr now
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
Configuring APR library
Platform: sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
configure failed for srclib/apr
M5#

When I check to make sure I have the right compiler for this platform, I get this:

M5# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

I am assuming this means I have the right version for the right platform (?)  I used the pre-compiled
version from sunfreeware.com for Solaris 8/sparc, so install was just a pgadd -d     -Hoping
to limit user error here!

Any insights would be welcomed. Cruel mocking laughter is fine as well. I am determined to
get everything onto Unix here.. just have a lot to learn!  Will post the solution when I find
it.
Thanks!

- Joe

the system manager.