httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: problem with accessing cgi files
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:46:20 GMT
On Tue, 09 Jul 2002 01:02:14 +1000, Zac Stevens wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 09:58:46AM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
>> As a side note, if you wish to comply with the Filesystem Hierarchy
>> Standard, a more appropriate location would be /usr/local/lib/cgi-bin/.
>
>Could you point me towards that standard?  I'd be interested to have a
>read, but that sounds like an entirely broken place to put one's cgi-bin...

See http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/

/usr/local/ is the hierarchy used for locally installed programs and
data that should not be over-written by other installs. ./lib/ is for
"... object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are not
intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts..."  In other
words, called by another program such as Apache.

In fact, /var/www/ is non-compliant, but is there for historical and
negotiated reasons (as I have been told).  I have placed my document
root at /usr/local/lib/www/. (I don't have to remember where it is
because I know where it belongs.)
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---