httpd-users mailing list archives

From Don Montalvo <dmjgraph...@nyc.rr.com>
Subject Re: two versions installed (newbie question)
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:35:55 GMT
>  >I just joined so be easy on me while I post my first question. :)
>>
>>I've had Apache 1.3.22 running on YellowDog Linux 2.3
>>(Intranet/Internet Server install...no GUI, strictly Run Level 3) on
>>a Macintosh Powerbook Series G3 (20G/384M) for about a month.
>>
>>A few days ago I tried to use apt-get to update Apache to the latest
>>version of 1.3x. I got the following warning:
><snip>
>>Processing File Dependencies... Done
>>Reading Package Lists... Error!
>>E: There are two or more versions of the package 'apache' installed
>>in your system, which is a situation APT can't handle cleanly at the
>>moment.
>>Please do one of the following:
>>1) Remove the older packages, leaving only one version installed; or
>>2) If you do want to have multiple versions of that package, add the
>>package names to the RPM::AllowedDupPkgs option.
><snip>
>>I surfed around to find info on how to get rid of the old version of
>>Apache nothing I found worked. I was hoping you guys might have run
>>into this problem before.
>>
>I won't pretend to know anything about the Yellowdog distro, but since
>it uses apt, it shouldn't be too difficult.  After backing up your
>configs, and content, etc., do "apt-get --purge remove apache"
>Use dpkg -l and dpkg -L, to hunt down any strays.  Then apt-get update
>and apt-get install apache.
>
>I have not a modicum of clue regarding the RPM:: thingy.
>--
>gt       kk5st@swbell.net

I tried it and got the same error:

-------------------start of terminal error------------------------
[montalvd_pb:~]root# apt-get --purge remove apache
Processing File Dependencies... Done
Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: There are two or more versions of the package 'apache' installed
in your system, which is a situation APT can't handle cleanly at the
moment.
Please do one of the following:
1) Remove the older packages, leaving only one version installed; or
2) If you do want to have multiple versions of that package, add the
package names to the RPM::AllowedDupPkgs option.

E: Error occured while processing apache (UsePackage2)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/rpm/Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I think the problem was that I used RPM to download and install the
update and it didn't work correctly, leaving me with two versions. I
hate RPM...so inconsistent. I'll stick to apt-get since everyone says
it's the best way to manage things.

Are there any other steps I should take? If I have to I'll
wipe/reinstall YellowDog and this time I'll make sure to stay away
from RPM...but I'd rather not have to go through the trouble.

:)
Don