httpd-users mailing list archives

From <apacheu...@dinoneil.com>
Subject Problem with "HTTPS" clients
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 21:32:52 GMT

Upon upgrading my Apache server, it stopped accepting requests from
clients who make requests like this: "GET / HTTPS/1.0".  My error log
shows: "request failed: erroneous characters after protocol string: GET /
HTTPS/1.0"

I've done some digging as it appears to be due to this recent patch:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/apache-1.3/src/main/http_protocol.c.diff?r1=1.314&r2=1.315

The requests do come in via SSL, but I am pretty sure that Apache is doing
the right thing since HTTPS isn't an actual protocol.  My problem is that
I _HAVE_ to be able to handle these requests.  Is there a way to force
Apache to treat requests made with "HTTPS/1.0" as if they were "HTTP/1.0"?
I've been combing through the various configuration directives looking for
something that might help, but can't find anything.  At first I thought
that mod_rewrite might do the trick, but it appears to only affect the
URL, not the protocol.

Short-term I can try patching the source to change this behavior, but I
eventually need to distribute my server-side code to third parties who
will be using standard Apache servers.

I'm hoping that this can be handled via configuration directives.  If this
won't work, would something like mod_perl let me change the way Apache
handles these requests?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom