httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ashwin Kutty <aku...@is.dal.ca>
Subject Re: What is significance of the .gz extention?
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:18:47 GMT

.gz means the file is zipped.. do a 'man gzip' (without the quotes) to
read more about it..
to unzip you can use the command 'gzip -d <filename>' and then you can
untar the file using the tar command.. 'tar -xvf <filename>'

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Ron Wingfield wrote:

> I have downloaded httpd-2.0.39.tar.gz ; however, I do not understand the significance
of the .gz extention.  I have been off in OS/400 systems for several years, and the last time
that I was active with unix systems, we only used .tar.  In other words, how should I restore
this from the "tape archive (tar)" file.

> Thanks,
> RW

---
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits."  - Albert Einstein

Ashwin
kutty..
Systems Administrator