httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Doug Groves" <gro...@valis.net>
Subject .htaccess on cgi-bin
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:45:55 GMT
Hi,

I'm having problems using .htaccess files to control access into sub-dirs of
the server's cg-bin dir.

Running Apache 1.3.26 under FreeBSD 4.5

In httpd.conf, I've set the following up...

   <Directory "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/testcgi">
	deny from all
	Options ExecCGI
	AllowOverride AuthConfig
	Order deny, allow
	Allow from xxx.xxx.xxx. (from local IP block only)
   </Directory>

the .htaccess file reads like this...

   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/testcgi.passwd
   AuthName TestCGI
   require user admin
   satisfy any

I've also created the testcgi.passwd file, with the user name admin, and the
password.  When I surf to the box from another on the local network, I don't
even get asked for a user name/password and I can gain access to the the
CGIs
within.  This also happens on the local machine.

I'm in the process of building a server to replace the current one, and
haven't
been doing any of this for a couple of years.  Now I'm back at it, and I've
checked docs.  Am I missing something in my conf files that isn't letting
htaccess
to kick in?

Thanks in advance,
Doug