httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michiel_La...@actuera.nl
Subject RE: Strange things with virutal hosts
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:54:36 GMT

hey... this makes me scratch my head in a terrible way...
with this method I can get the right page directly:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: production <enter><enter>
BLAM! the right page (but we expected that!)

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: develop <enter><enter>
BLAM! The rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright page (which I did not expect)

So, is it now safe to assume that Apache is not at fault, but MSIE, so I
had best take a big bad gun and shoot MSIE to cinders and get back to
Netscape again?
Can I? Can I? *hopes*

                    "Boyle Owen"

                    <Owen.Boyle@sw       To:     <users@httpd.apache.org>

                    x.com>               cc:

                                         Fax to:

                    03-07-2002           Subject:     RE: Strange things with virutal hosts

                    10:32

                    Please respond

                    to users

>From: Michiel_Lange@actuera.nl [mailto:Michiel_Lange@actuera.nl]

>Hmm... strange... funny even...
>my GETs don't return the hostname...
>telnet intracc.actuera.nl 80
>type "GET / HTTP/1.1" <enter> <enter>
>
>HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
>Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 08:00:14 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.24 (Unix)
>Connection: close

It's a "Bad Request" because you didn't include a "Host:" header! If you
say you're going to use HTTP/1.1, you *must* send a Host. Only in HTTP 1.0
can you miss out the Host. Try;

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: intracc.actuera.nl <enter> <enter>

and see what happens...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle