httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey R. Olson" <j...@olsonzoo.com>
Subject Spaces in realaudio (.ram) file URLs no longer work in 1.3.26
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:55:38 GMT
Hello,

In httpd 1.3.26, the use of a space within a URL contained inside a .ram
file no longer seems to work.  For instance, the following URL inside a .ram
file works and plays fine when the .rm file being pointed to is being served
up by httpd 1.3.24, but fails in the RealOne player (with a non-descript
"general error") when using httpd 1.3.26.  (This is true for Apache running
on both Linux and Windows 2000):
http://www3.olsonzoo.com/2002/07/FEFC_20020728.rm?rpurl=http://www.firstfree
church.org/news/bulletins/2002/07/2002-07-28_bulletin.html&title="July 28,
2002 Worship Service"&author="Pastor Joel Sutton"&copyright="© 2002, First
Evangelical Free Church"

(The purpose of the URL within the .ram file, for those of you who don't
know, is to point to the actual audio file, the .rm file.  Also, the other
parameters like title, author, copyright, etc., are used to display
information to the user in the Real player).

If the spaces are replaced with %20 (e.g.,
"...&title="July%2028,%202002%20Worship..."), then the error goes away in
1.3.26 and everything works fine.  However, the problem with using %20 is
that the RealOne Player (on Windows) doesn't translate the %20's into
spaces.  Doh.  Of course, that's not Apache's problem.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has an idea why this behavior would have
changed between 1.3.24 and 1.3.26.  Also, which behavior is correct--should
spaces be allowed inside a URL?  I'm guessing probably not, but then why did
it work before (and why would Real Networks advocate this format?--see
http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/realone/IntroGuide/HTML/htmfiles
/ramsum.htm).

Thanks for any help,
Jeff