httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: VitualHost problem finally fixed
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:16:10 GMT
hurrahhhh...someone is finally getting the message, here
and finally trying to NOW help the way this list is supposed to.

hmmmm...wonder why it's NOW they started to help...eh? and not before...?

hmmmm...kinda makes you want to think about this more...doesn't it?

perhaps what i said is finally making a difference in this list...ehhh?

Good, thats what I wanted to do...in all this...Praise God !!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodent of Unusual Size [mailto:Ken.Coar@Golux.Com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:02 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: VitualHost problem finally fixed

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I'm still waiting to find out exactly what the circumstances
> of the problem are..

Ah.  Is this related to the thread with subject
'RE: Subdomains to different folder.'
to which you posted last Friday?  (26 July 2002)

If so, the DocumentRoot directives you posted are broken
and need to be quoted, but I don't think that's related to
the problem you describe: "either the main server comes up
all the time...or the one of the virtualhosts whenever i
call up the different virtual host i've setup".

You neglected to mention what your global ServerName setting
is, but it sounds as though it doesn't have a corresponding
<VirtualHost> container.  (E.g., a global 'ServerName foo.com'
but no <VirtualHost *> containing 'ServerName foo.com' or
'ServerAlias foo.com'.)  You need to do this for supported
and reliable operation; as the docco says, "create a <VirtualHost>
block for each different host that you would like to serve."
(See <URL:http:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html>.)

That same page also says: "If no matching virtual host is found,
then the first listed virtual host that matches the IP address
will be used.  As a consequence, the first listed virtual host is
the default virtual host."  That might explain the second part
of your remark; you didn't specify, but I suspect that the
vhost that kept coming up was the first one listed.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"