httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: Virtual hosts (was RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers)
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:12:59 GMT

and posted several times...but everyone just tells me the same thing
GO LOOK AT THE DOCS...well the docs stinks as you also say.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:53 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; admin@myispnet.net
Subject: Virtual hosts (was RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Admin wrote:

> I went thru this problem before , when I first started with apache.
> I tried everything, this is the only way it works...sorry...if you
> disagree.

That's a little like saying "I couldn't get my car to start until I washed
the windows; that's the only way it works; sorry if you disagree."  In
other words, there was almost certainly something else that you missed
that changed.

> but perhaps you know how to setup virtual domains
> I've had a terrible time with those.  I've tried everything.
> and what it seems to me, I think it has something to do with
> having each sub-domain/virtual its own DNS (first) before
> setting them up in the config. I use dns2go.com to host
> my main server, But I need to setup other virtuals/subdomains
> using same IP (static).

Sure.  Start with the following:

1. Carefully read and follow
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html

2. If it still doesn't work, show us the relevant excerpt from your config
file and describe exactly what is happening when you try to access the
site and exactly what is in the error and access log.  It help alot if you
give real IP addresses and domain names as well.

Joshua.