httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:44:06 GMT
I went thru this problem before , when I first started with apache.
I tried everything, this is the only way it works...sorry...if you
disagree.

but perhaps you know how to setup virtual domains
I've had a terrible time with those.  I've tried everything.
and what it seems to me, I think it has something to do with
having each sub-domain/virtual its own DNS (first) before
setting them up in the config. I use dns2go.com to host
my main server, But I need to setup other virtuals/subdomains
using same IP (static).

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:17 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; admin@myispnet.net
Subject: RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, admin wrote:

> hey, look this is the correct way to do it...I'm not here
> to argue, you aren't even the person having the problem...
>
> let him do it the way i suggest, and I bet it works...
> if not then, there's something else not right...
> but i don't think so, seeing as it works with the cgi ext.

I'm not trying to argue either, especially over an issue this unimportant.
(As I said, the AddHandler does no harm; it just isn't necessary.)

But I don't like to let that kind of cargo cult statement stand.  That's
how we get dangerous things like <Limit GET POST> require valid-user
</Limit> perpetuated, even though that configuration has been wrong since
Apache 1.0.  The correct, minimal configuration for a cgi-bin directory
using ScriptAlias does NOT need an AddHandler cgi-script, nor an Options
execcgi.  If you don't believe me, check the documentation, the source
code, or the default httpd.conf file.

Joshua.