httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: VitualHost problem finally fixed
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:12:17 GMT
and another ones gone, and another ones gone,another one bites the dust...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Koeninger [mailto:jkoenin@jjcc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:05 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: VitualHost problem finally fixed

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:16:53 -0400, Admin wrote:

>VirtualHost FIX !!! (using ONE IP)
>
>NOW, onto what I really wanted to do...for the sake of others on this list
>that require help, (and never get it) on setting up their virtual hosts
>with it not working.

FWIW, I just joined this list two weeks ago, but I've been running Apache
with virtual hosts on one IP (or on multiple IPs) for years using only the
sample configuration file and documentation.  If things are as bad as you
say in the docs, I don't see how my systems could be working.

>In order for this to work, as the docs say, and give as examples for...
>you must first also place a virtualhost block for the main
>server config,....

Huh?  What problem are we trying to solve here?  I only very recently
put a default virtual host in my configuration, but the purpose was to
act as a default for domains that we no longer hosted.  IIRC, Apache
defaults back to the first virtual host in the list when using name-based
virtual hosts if the server name provided doesn't match any of the other
virtual hosts.  There's no way I could know this unless it was in the
documentation.

>You also must have your BindAddress directive, set as " * "

I just checked and my BindAddress directive is commented out.  Still
curious what problem we're solving, and I can't seem to find the post
in the archives.

With respect to respondents telling people to look in the docs, in my
opinion, that's the best advice anyone can give.  I've spent some time
on the Tomcat list and others, and there are always people there looking
for answers without attempting to find them on their own.  When a question
is obviously in the documentation, I give the user some general guidance
and send them a link to the documentation or to a configuration file that
already has a working sample in it.  I never give exact answers because
I don't have time to do both everyone else's job and my job at the same
time.  If I can figure it out without nothing more than the documentation,
other people should be able to as well.  If it's an issue that I can't
solve in the documentation, I give an answer.

I've seen nothing so far on this list to give me any indication that things
are
any different here than they are over on Tomcat.  I also think it's
generally
bad form to insult volunteers for not helping the way you want to be
helped.

Best Regards,

Jason