httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: Virtual hosts (was RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers)
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:56:40 GMT
ahhh...thats what i thought...thanks for confirming...
I have win2k pro can i possibly setup a DNS server on this...without
using thr IIS server?  if so how? I'm new to w2k pro...

I currently use "dns2go.com to host my dns for the main server.
i wonder if it's possible to also host the other virtuals

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 5:53 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; admin@myispnet.net
Subject: RE: Virtual hosts (was RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Admin wrote:

> here is both my current config file, "httpd.conf"
> and i thought i'd throw in the default one i saved, just in case
> I ran into problems...this will show you that it is listed as i said.
>
> doc root takes one arguement
> root directory of the doc tree "

First, in the future, please only post relevant excerpts from your config
file unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise.  Posting entire
config files wastes both bandwidth and the time of the people answering
your questions.

On to your problem.  I see at least two issues:

1. When specifying pathnames with spaces, you must surround them with
quotation marks.  That is the cause of the doc root error.

2. From my little place on the internet, those hostnames in the ServerName
directives don't resolve to an IP address.  You need have DNS resolution
working if you expect these sites to be accessible from the internet.
For that, you should contact your DNS provider.

Good luck!

Joshua.