httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Admin" <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject RE: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:14:11 GMT
THANKYOU sir...I knew i was right...anyways...thanks for the backup

-----Original Message-----
From: Lewis Watson [mailto:lists@visionsix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:58 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; admin@myispnet.net
Subject: Re: .pl .cgi / cgi-scripts, handlers

I quote from the apache doc:
<quote>
"CGI programs are often restricted to ScriptAlias'ed directories for
security reasons. In this way, administrators can tightly control who is
allowed to use CGI programs. However, if the proper security precautions are
taken, there is no reason why CGI programs cannot be run from arbitrary
directories. For example, you may wish to let users have web content in
their home directories with the UserDir directive. If they want to have
their own CGI programs, but don't have access to the main cgi-bin directory,
they will need to be able to run CGI programs elsewhere.

Explicitly using Options to permit CGI execution
You could explicitly use the Options directive, inside your main server
configuration file, to specify that CGI execution was permitted in a
particular directory:

        <Directory /usr/local/apache/htdocs/somedir>
                Options +ExecCGI
        </Directory>
The above directive tells Apache to permit the execution of CGI files. You
will also need to tell the server what files are CGI files. The following
AddHandler directive tells the server to treat all files with the cgi or pl
extension as CGI programs:

     AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl"

</quote>
This  quote is  after the <scriptalias> information. ScriptAlias needs no
handler because its sole purpose in life is to provide a directory where
scripts live. My httpd.conf does not have it and does not need it.
Joshua has been helping people here for years. Do a search and see. The
problem is elsewhere.
Thanks.
Lewis