httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Julian Grunnell" <jgrunn...@firstnet.net.uk>
Subject RE: Blocking access to user sites
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 07:14:07 GMT
A real dirty way is to change the ownership / permissions on the users
home directory so the Apache user can't read / write to it. Like I say
dirty but it works.

Or how about using mod_rewrite with a map file, you can edit the map
file details and disable access to a particular web site without the
need to restart Apache on the fly.

J.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Davis [mailto:sac61689@skymail.csus.edu]
Sent: 09 July 2002 00:04
To: Apache Users
Subject: Blocking access to user sites

Hello All:

I will be using Apache (1.3.26 w/ php 4.2.1 , modSSL) to run a site
where several hundred users will have their website. My problem is
that the users are not allowed to run commercial sites.  If I find
them or they are brought to my attention I am required to block web
access to them immediately.
Here is my problem. How can I block web access to a users site
without modifying the Apache config file and doing a "graceful"
restart?
I was looking into using mod_auth_db but I cannot quite put all of
the pieces together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx