httpd-users mailing list archives

From Adam Crawford <>
Subject apache virtual server proxy config
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 23:17:06 GMT
Hello... We have a java app which runs fine on our intranet through apache
1.3 on Sun 2.6.
To put it on the internet we have a webserver running a apache virtual
server which proxy's all requests to a firewall, then on to the server where
tomcat 3.1 and the Java app is loaded.

What happens is we can log in ok and some information is retrieved from the
When we try to go to the next page we are returned to the login screen. This
should only happen when a variable multi is false, ie the session is not
open. Does the virtual server handle things differently? I assume it
establishes a connection on a higher port?

I have looked around FAQ and tried to configure the virtual server as per
documentation with no luck.
We have increased timeouts to 10 min, looked at the firewall logs, gone
through the code and tried numerous configurations.
An example of httpd.conf's which proxy to a firewall would be appreciated.

gpvserver - runs app

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot "/www"
Timeout 600
KeepAliveTimeout 15
Port 80
HostnameLookups Off
ProxyRequests On
Listen 8200
  ErrorLog /www/logs/
  CustomLog /www/logs/ common

webserver - apache only

ServerType standalone
ServerRoot "/spare/apache_gis"
Timeout 600
KeepAliveTimeout 15
Port 80
HostnameLookups Off
ProxyRequests on
 ServerAdmin admin
 DocumentRoot /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ot
 ErrorLog /spare/www/logs/
 CustomLog /spare/www/logs/ common
 ProxyPass   /
 ProxyPassReverse   /