httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Caio James <c...@intric.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts Issue
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:33:16 GMT
Here is the error that shows up in my error_log when I attempt to start
apache with 2 name based virtual hosts on 2 separate IPs:

[Tue Jul  9 14:53:51 2002] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Tue Jul  9 14:53:57 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27
PHP/4.2.1 DAV/1.0.3 mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming
normal operations
[Tue Jul  9 14:53:57 2002] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)

This might as well be Swahili to me. I recognize some of the terms, but the
meaning of the error is not clear to me.

Thanks,

Caio

> From: <apacheuser@dinoneil.com>
> Reply-To: users@httpd.apache.org
> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:59:38 -0700 (PDT)
> To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Virtual Hosts Issue
> 
> 
> There are a couple of issues that you might be experiencing.
> 
> Firstly, when you start apachectl with the startssl parameter, your
> apachectl script is probably starting the apache daemon with the -DSSL
> option.  This tells apache to define a name for use in <IfDefine name>
> directives.  Your httpd.conf file probably looks something like this:
> 
> <IfDefine SSL>
> LoadModule ssl_module         libexec/libssl.so
> </IfDefine>
> .
> .
> .
> <IfDefine SSL>
> AddModule mod_ssl.c
> </IfDefine>
> 
> This tells apache that if it was started with the SSL option defined
> (-DSSL) then execute the directive within this IfDefine container.  So
> when you use startssl, apache is probably trying to load your SSL module
> and failing for some reason.  Your error_log will hopefully tell you what
> is happening.  You could also try running "httpd -DSSL" by hand to see
> what might be wrong.  If you get a segmentation fault, then you probably
> have a conflict between your SSL module and another module.  You might try
> commenting out unused modules to find the problem.  It is also possible
> that you have other configurations within <IfDefine SSL> containers that
> are breaking your server config only when they are included due to the use
> of startssl.
> 
> The next problem you may be up against is the use of SSL with name-based
> vhosts. You say that you are running several virtual hosts on one IP
> address, which implies that you are using name-based vhosts (unless you
> are running them off of different ports).  If your goal is to have these
> same vhosts each accessible via SSL, then you have a terminal problem.
> Keep in mind that name based vhosts depend on the Host: header sent by the
> client in the HTTP message.  Due to the nature of HTTP over SSL, the SSL
> portion of the connection is set up first.  The hostname of your web site
> will be sent to the client within your SSL server certificate and before
> the HTTP request (with Host: header) is even sent to the server.  Because
> of this, your SSL configurations will essentially turn your name based
> vhost configurations back into a regular IP based vhost config.  And, if
> memory serves me correctly, all of you name based vhosts on that IP
> address will be merged together, essentially causing repeated directives
> to overwrite one another.
> 
> Hope this helps,
> Tom
> 
> 
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Caio james wrote:
> 
>> Hello,
>> 
>> I am using redhat 72 with a self compiled apache 1.3.26 with php421,
>> mod_ssl, mod_perl, and coldfusion 5.
>> 
>> I have added several virtual hosts on one IP address and those hosts
>> work as they should. However, when I add a virtual host that is on a
>> different IP (an IP that is on a virtual interface), apache does not
>> start.
>> 
>> Using apachectl startssl, the response I get is only:
>> 
>> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl startssl: httpd started
>> 
>> Yet, apache is NOT running at all. The configuration does work, however,
>> if I use the standard start command instead of startssl.
>> 
>> My httpd.conf file is located here if you would like to check it out:
>> 
>> http://65.86.205.132/~caiojames/httpd.conf
>> 
>> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
>> 
>> Caio
>> 
>> 
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>> 
>> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message