httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Schlossnagle <geo...@omniti.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing through Apache
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:14:33 GMT
HI,

To be pedantic for a moment, what you seem to be asking for is
ip-failover, not load-balancing.  Many products claim to do both while
really just providing the former.  There are a number of solutions to
your problem, both commercial and free-software based.  Commercial load
balancers (by companies like Cisco, Foundry, Extreme Networks, Coyote
Point, etc.) provide this sort of service.  On the free side their is
mod_backhand (http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/), an Apache module
that performs resource based load-balancing, and wackamole
(http://www.backhand.org/wackamole/) an ip-failover solution.  This
differs from LVS (which another poster recommended) in that it does not
require a dedicated machine that LVS does, and eliminates it as a
single-point of failure.

At the end of the day though, there's a smorgasborg of technologies,
free and commercial, available to handle this task.  No one is right for
all tasks, so it's probably worth figuring out exactly what the feature
set you're looking for is and shopping around.

George

On Tuesday, July 30, 2002, at 01:00 PM, Amit Kaushik wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Here is a situation. We have two servers running with apache 1.3.24 and
> php
> 4.0.6 on both. We are serving some site from one server and some from
> another server. I want to make some kind of load balancing between
> these two
> servers like if one server down we can server all the sites of down
> server
> from the another server.
>
> I am giving you an example.
>
> Server Name S1 -------------- Site Name X
> Server Name S2 -------------- Site Name Y
>

> If server S1 Goes down can we server all the content of site X from
> server
> S2. Please suggest me some solution.
> Any Kind of help will be appreciated.
>
> thanks

// George Schlossnagle
// Principal Consultant
// OmniTI, Inc          http://www.omniti.com
// (c) 240.460.5234   (e) george@omniti.com
// 1024D/1100A5A0  1370 F70A 9365 96C9 2F5E 56C2 B2B9 262F 1100 A5A0