httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Stephenson" <PStephen...@ficgroup.com>
Subject RE: disabling system logon and allowing ftp login
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:57:51 GMT
I have looked through the ftpaccess file, and I am still confused.  I have setup real user
accounts for people, and when I try to change from /bin/bash to /bin/false that user can no
longer log into the ftp server.  The following is a copy of my /etc/passwd ~/etc/passwd and
/etc/ftpaccess file.

/etc/passwd  [example of a user I setup]

onramp:1PFTp60AqHswg:505:505::/home/sites:/bin/false

~/etc/passwd

onramp::505:505::/www.mittefoundation.org:

/etc/ftpaccess is

#This file controls the behavior of the wu-ftpd
# ftp server.
#
# If you're looking for a graphical frontend to
# editing it, try kwuftpd from the kdeadmin
# package.

# Don't allow system accounts to log in over ftp
deny-uid %-99 %65534-
deny-gid %-99 %65534-
#allow-uid ftp
#allow-gid ftp

# Chroot all users to their home directory by default
# (comment this out if you don't want to chroot most of your users)
guest-root /home/sites
guestuser *
restrict-uid *
# If you wish to allow user1 and user2 to access other
# directories, use the line below:
# realuser user1,user2

# The ftpchroot group doesn't exist by default, this
# entry is just supplied as an example.
# To chroot a user, modify the line below or create
# the ftpchroot group and add the user to it.
#
# You will need to setup the required applications
# and libraries in the root directory (set using
# guest-root).
#
# Look at the anonftp package for the files you'll need.
# guestgroup ftpchroot

# User classes...
class   all   real,guest  *

# Set this to your email address
email bmoore@ficgroup.com

# Allow 5 mistyped passwords
loginfails 5

# Notify the users of README files at login and when
# changing to a different directory
readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

# Messages displayed to the user
message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

# Allow on-the-fly compression and tarring
compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all

# Prevent anonymous users (and partially guest users)
# from executing dangerous commands
chmod           no              guest,anonymous
delete          no              anonymous
overwrite       no              anonymous
rename          no              anonymous

# Turn on logging to /var/log/xferlog
log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound,outbound

# If /etc/shutmsg exists, don't allow logins
# see ftpshut man page
shutdown /etc/shutmsg

# Ask users to use their email address as anonymous
# password
passwd-check rfc822 warn

Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Stephenson