httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Vallejo Gutierrez, Enrique" <enrique.valle...@gestion.unican.es>
Subject newbie, problems with perl .pl files under Apache 1.3.26
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:47:17 GMT
Hi!

	I am a newbie in this list, and I really have not much idea about
Apache. I work in a University where a web program (WebCT) is used to help
teachers to create web pages for the students. That program runs mainly on
Perl scripts. The web server is Apache, version 1.3.26, in a sistem running
Windows 2000 server.

	Our problem is that, after the last security hotfix upgrading (to
version 1.3.26) perl files are not properly run on the server. Instead, the
file is downloaded to the client, with the ususal "save file as..." message
in the web browser. We have found that the problem apears when a .pl file is
referenced in the url menu bar, but if you try to access the file without
the extension (that is, using "...serve_home" instead of
"...serve_home.pl"), the program works normaly. This problem started
happening just after the patch installing, so I suppose it is because of the
hotfix.

	Is this an Apache known problem? The last hotfix installed refers to
security problems related to running code on the server. Maybe the security
problem is related to Perl extensions, and thus it is normal you have to
remove the extension at the url bar, I do not know. I have done nothing
relating MIME extensions, so if it has beeen changed, that's because of the
hotfix.

	Due to the program license, we can not upgrade to Apache 2.0. I
would like to know how to solve the Perl problem before the course begins.
Will I have to edit the MIME settings? How can I do it? I feel lost!!!!

	I have looked at the FAQ and I have found nothing, nor in the

	Thank you

Enrique Vallejo Gutiérrez
Centro de Formación en Nuevas Tecnologías
   Facultad de Derecho
   Planta 0 (Antigua aula 6)
Avda. Los Castros s/n
39005 - Santander (Cantabria)