httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steinar Bang ...@dod.no>
Subject Re: install apacheconf rpm needs apache
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:21:50 GMT

> when you go 'rpm --rebuild somePackage.src.rpm' it seems to do some
> compiling. However, when i do 'rpm -q somPackage' it indicates that
> the package did not get installed. Is there somethign else i have to
> do?

I usually do
	rpm --install somepackage.src.rpm
	rpm -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/somepackage.spec
and then I do
	cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
	rpm -U somepackage-version.i386.rpm
(change architecture as appropriate.  SuSE uses /usr/src/rpm/, I
think.  I don't know about other distributions).

I think it's easier to see what happens that way, if the build fails
in some way.  Most times the failure to build is caused by unfulfilled
dependencies in my distribution (if I fetched the src.rpm from a
different distribution).

Some times I have to patch stuff to make it compile, or fix known
bugs.

If I need to add some patches, I do:
 - Install the source RPM
	rpm --install somepackage.src.rpm
 - Add my patch files to
	/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
 - Edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/somepackage.spec (add the patch file(s),
   and bump the release number, add the change to the log, and change
   the packager name)
 - Rebuild the source and binary packages with
	rpm -ba /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/somepackage.spec
 - Install the binary package

I usually store away both the new src.rpm and the binary package.