httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Korey G." <ko...@awpg.com>
Subject Re: [Apache] script alias
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:17:23 GMT
But I see your point,
  it would be interesting to run some benchmarks on the theory,
I'll keep you updated,
-Korey


At 13:04 7/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm interested in your comment.  I'm thinking like a unix programmer. . .
>A symlink at the OS level seems more efficient than adding a logic instruction
>to a HLL program, i.e., the httpd server.  In other words, the httpd has 
>to go
>through some if-then-else gyrations that are otherwise implicit at the OS 
>level;
>therefore, why not use a symbolic link?  Additionally, you can set (i.e., 
>chmod)
>permissions at the file level, rather than deal with the httpd allow/deny 
>scenario,
>granted that there may be some message handlling advantages that I'm not
>taking into consideration.
>
>Ron W.
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: <mailto:korey@awpg.com>Korey G.
>>To: <mailto:users@httpd.apache.org>users@httpd.apache.org
>>Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 3:45 PM
>>Subject: Re: [Apache] script alias
>>
>>no, because httpd.conf is tha bomb!
>>symbolic linkage is a cop out
>>
>>At 12:41 7/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>> >Perhaps, create a symbolic link (assuming that you're runing on unix) to
>> >the abbreviated spelling?
>> >(. . .rather than deal with script aliases.)
>> >>----- Original Message -----
>> >>From: <<mailto:apache@swift-web.com>mailto:apache@swift-web.com>Jason
>> >>To: 
>> <<mailto:users@httpd.apache.org>mailto:users@httpd.apache.org><mailto:users@httpd.apache.org>users@httpd.apache.org
>> >>Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 12:22 PM
>> >>Subject: RE: [Apache] script alias
>> >>
>> >> > -> How do I make a script alias so that I can do this:
>> >> > ->
>> >> > -> pull up mydomain.com/script.cgi
>> >> > -> when its actually located
>> >> > -> in mydomain.com/cgi-bin/script.cgi
>> >> >
>> >> > why?
>> >>
>> >>I wondered the same thing only reducing it a bit further than the above
>> >>example.  My reasons were to shorten
>> >>domain.com/cgi-bin/webmailprogram.cgi
>> >>to
>> >>domain.com/webmail
>> >>
>> >>Is that possible and if so does it open up major security issues?
>> >>-Jay
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> >><<mailto:users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org>mailto:users-unsubscribe@ht

>> tpd.apache.org><mailto:users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org>users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>> >>For additional commands, e-mail:
>> >><<mailto:users-help@httpd.apache.org>mailto:users-help@httpd.apache.org

>>  ><mailto:users-help@httpd.apache.org>users-help@httpd.apache.org
>>
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail: 
>><mailto:users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org>users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>>For additional commands, e-mail: 
>><mailto:users-help@httpd.apache.org>users-help@httpd.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message