httpd-users mailing list archives

From BenoƮt Desmeules <bdesmeu...@eurekium.com>
Subject Apache2 modules version compatibility
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:16:01 GMT
Hi there

The product I'm working on at my company uses a web module as input, and,
of course, we have modules for Apache1 and Apache2 and both works very fine.

However, today, I just upgraded my machine to 2.0.39 and noticed that my
old module does not work. I had to recompile the module (I got a message
"module msip_apr2.cpp is not compatible with this version of Apache. Please
contact the vendor for the correct version.").

Up to now, it's ok. I thought I'd have to recompile the module and then it
would work for any previous version of Aapche2. However, it's not the case.
When the module was recompiled with Apache 2.0.39, I could not make it run
on a 2.0.35 server (same error message as previous one).

My question is the following: does it always work like that? I mean, having
to recompile your Apache2 modules when using a new version of Apache2? Is
it specific to 2.0.39? I know some major security issue was resolved in
2.0.39. What does someone that needs to deliver a commercial module should
do? Download all versions of Apache2 and compile his module with all of
them, having the binaries ready depending on what the client's version of
Apache2 is? Or force the client to use 2.0.39 since it has a big security
fix? What if the client refuses (remember, the client usually does not take
the decision you expect him to take :P)?

Here's some info about our development environment :
	M$ Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
	Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 5

If you need more info to answer my question, please ask. I really need some
feedback on this.
Thanks in advance

	Ben