httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Cutright <acutri...@borland.com>
Subject Re: Newbie question on setup and configuration
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:06:40 GMT
hi,

what do you mean, you don't want to go "live"? if your machine isn't
available to the internet generally, you won't have to worry about
anyone accessing it. for instance, if you're behind a firewall, and the
outside world doesn't have access to your IP address, you'll be fine.
and if you're not connected to the internet or your network at all, you
can run apache, but no one but you (or someone else with physical access
to your machine) will be able to see your site.

cheers,
andy

D'Armous Boone wrote:

> Hello Users Mailing List,
>
> I am a newbie to servers in general.  I am using the Windows ME OS and
> just bought Dreamweaver MX, and would like to setup the Apache server
> just for site testing purposes (I am trying to learn how to use CGI
> scripts and work with databases such as MySQL).  I do not want to go
> live with the server.  Can the Apache server be setup to do that?  If
> so how do I configure it to do so?  I tried to install the computer on
> my own but could not get past the point where I was asked for DNS
> information.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"an uber-system has been superposed, bootstrapped to convergence at maximized functionality..."

--
Borland -- Enabling a new digital world where our customers have the
freedom of choice to develop, deploy, and integrate applications across

addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any
attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error,
please immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail
and any printout thereof.